For personalized, compassionate guidance through the divorce process or other family law matters, call Morris | Richmond Law Firm, PLLC at 281-532-5465.

Client-Focused Attorneys Providing Counsel, Advice And The Tools You Need To Resolve Your Family’s Legal Issues

Client-Focused Attorneys Providing Counsel, Advice And The Tools You Need To Resolve Your Family’s Legal Issues

Children Need Both Emotional And Financial Support

In Texas, child support laws are designed to favor the best interests of the child. This means that as a parent, if your wishes are not in the best interest of the child, they will not be granted. At Morris & Richmond Law Firm PLLC, we help clients work with their spouse and the court to find compromises in child support agreements. We offer compassionate yet honest representation. You will work directly with a knowledgeable lawyer who can answer your questions.

Understanding How Child Support Is Determined And Enforced

The court expects both parents to contribute financially to the well-being of their children regardless of how much each parent earns. Payments are expected to continue until the child is 18 or until they graduate from high school. When determining how much each parent will pay, there are two main factors that a judge will consider. The first is the monthly income of each parent. The second is the number of children in the family. Both parents can come to an agreement without having to go in front of a judge. When an agreement cannot be reached outside of court, a judge will determine who pays support and how much based on each parent’s income and other factors.

Once child support is established, it is legally binding. This means that paying is not a choice, but a requirement. Each parent is still responsible for paying what they owe regardless of their financial situation. If your former partner is behind and shows no signs of making attempts to pay anytime soon, there are steps you can take. We can help you petition the court and get the support you are owed through wage garnishment. Lawyer fees for pursuing unpaid child support payments are typically rolled into the payments made by the delinquent parent.

We Are Here To Help; Call Today

If you need help dealing with child support issues, get the answers you need by consulting with us today. Call our office in Friendswood at 281-532-5465 or fill out our contact form online to schedule a free consultation.